Vegan Butternut Macaroni
You would never know this cheesy mac is loaded with veggies and plant-based protein! Even kids will love the creamy sauce made from butternut squash. Feel free to leave out the cashews or the nutritional yeast, but not both or else it won’t taste right.
Makes 6 servings
- 12 oz. chickpea protein macaroni noodles
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tsp. salt (optional)
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. white (or black) pepper
- 1/8 tsp. smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- Boil butternut squash with onions and cashews until tender.
- Strain and add to a blender along with vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, and spices.
- Blend until smooth.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions and toss with butternut sauce.
- Enjoy hot! Leftovers will keep in the fridge in an airtight container up to one week.