These stuffed peppers are perfect for meal prep or a healthy dinner party! If you’re a fan of Italian food, you’ll love the rich red sauce and melty mozzarella. Feel free to use any grain you like, or substitute a lower carb alternative like cauliflower rice.
Makes 6 stuffed peppers
Serving size: 1 stuffed pepper
- 6 large assorted bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cup cooked brown rice, buckwheat or farro
- 2 lbs. 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1-15 oz. can organic tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt (optional)
- 3/4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring 3/4 cup rice and 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes until grains are tender. Drain excess water and set aside.
- Cut each bell pepper in half lengthwise, then cut out core (carefully) and scoop out seeds, rinsing if needed. Set aside.
- Cook ground turkey with onion and garlic until browned and no pink remains.
- Add tomato sauce and spices, then simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Combine cooked rice and ground turkey sauce, and divide between bell pepper halves.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until peppers are tender.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and broil for 5 minutes until cheese is golden brown.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge up to one week.