Vegan Breakfast Burritos
These burritos are flavorful, easy to make and freeze for later, and full of plant-based protein! Use cassava tortillas for a gluten-free version, or regular flour tortillas work just fine. You can also swap out the beans for breakfast potatoes, but this will decrease the protein content and increase the carbs somewhat. The sauce is so creamy and delicious, you’ll want to eat it by itself!
Makes 4 servings
- 8 oz. extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup onion, sliced
- 1 cup bell pepper, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup black beans
- 2 cups spinach
- 4 large tortillas
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh salsa (optional)
- 2 tbsp. tahini (or plain cashew butter)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- Crumble tofu and press out as much liquid as you can using paper towels.
- Lightly coat a skillet with cooking spray and add crumbled tofu, onion, and pepper.
- Sauté mixture until tofu is browned in spots.
- Add black beans and spinach to skillet, cooking until spinach is wilted and beans are heated through.
- Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- Combine sauce ingredients and pour into skillet, stirring to coat.
- Lay out tortillas and divide mixture between them, topping with salsa and cilantro if desired.
- Enjoy right away or cling wrap and freeze up to one month. To reheat, microwave on a plate for 2-3 minutes.